The MSc (International Political Economy) programme at Nanyang Technological University provides the link between politics and economics by examining relevant theoretical and practical concepts from both disciplines. It seeks to equip students with:
- Analytical skills necessary to understand complex interactions between international politics and economics
- Substantive knowledge spanning countries and regions throughout the world
- An understanding of the historical evolution of the global political economy in order to appreciate and address challenges in the contemporary period
This programme sits at the intersection of politics and economic markets. Many political scientists have studied political decisions divorced from the economic context. Similarly, economists have often studied the mechanisms of the market as though the economy works without manipulation from political actors.
However, these two areas cannot be regarded separately. Governments frequently intervene in markets by setting wages, prices, tax levels and so forth. On the other hand, investors sometimes flee states, markets or currencies that are following objectively sound macroeconomic policies to invest in inefficient projects elsewhere in the world.
Students are taught to analyse the interaction between the production, distribution and use of wealth with politically driven rules and institutions in the global environment. Using real-world examples coupled with a host of international seminars and conferences, the MSc (International Political Economy)programme offers comprehensive insights into contemporary developments in world economics and politics such as the uneven impact of globalisation on states and societies, and the on-going arguments over the formal and informal rules underpinning global governance.
Students who complete this course may look forward to jobs as analysts in research institutions, financial corporations or government. Business strategy and journalism are other possibilities.. In the government sector, some attractive options include research or policy-making positions in central banks, finance ministries or trade departments.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Theories and Issues in International Political Economy
- Economics for International Political Economy
- Quantitative Methods in the Study of International Politics
- A Globalizing China in the World Economy
- Monitoring Forecasting and Managing Country Risk and Economic Crisis
- Energy and Environment Issues
- Regional and Global Financial Crisis
- International Economic Institutions and International Economic Policies
- Indonesian Economy
- Comparative Political Economy
- Introduction to the Political Economy of Southeast Asia
- Political Risk Analysis
- The Political Economy of Economic Development and Integration in Asia
- Culture, Institutions & Development
- International Trade & Finance
- Government-Business Relations in Asia
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor’s degree with honours from a Singapore university (or overseas equivalent)
- Standardised Test Scores: test scores for TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) must be submitted by all applicants except those with undergraduate degrees from universities where English was the medium of instruction.
- A provisional degree certificate or a university letter stating the expected graduation date is required for applicants who have not yet completed their undergraduate studies. The original degree certificate must be provided for verification at the point of matriculation, otherwise candidates will not be admitted to the masters programme
International14149 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14149 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National9261 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9261 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
12600 S$ National19250 S$ International
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.