The Stellenbosch University, Master of Laws specialised LLM programme is a structured, research-orientated programme focused on issues of Intellectual Property Law designed to train specialised academics and equip students with the necessary critical assessment skills, insight and analytical ability to practice effectively in the fields of IP law and occupy the position of experts in IP Law.
The LLM (IP Law) consists of three compulsory taught modules, each designed to provide the student with a sound theoretical knowledge of the subject matter in addition to detailed instruction on issues pertaining to litigation and vesting/registration of IP rights, a choice of two highly specialised elective modules and a compulsory research module consisting of a research assignment.
The LLM (IP Law) is a specialised academic qualification that incorporates all of the necessary practical knowledge needed to evaluate and critically assess the practice of IP law and advise on relevant issues in detail or formulate an expert opinion. As a comprehensive review and analysis of South African, foreign and International Intellectual Property Law, the LLM (IP Law) may benefit students who endeavour to become a trademark practitioner or (in select cases) a patent attorney by providing them with a sound understanding of the law and preparation for the relevant admission/practitioners’ examinations administered by the SAIIPL.
- Department of Higher Education and Training (South Africa)
- NQF Level 9
- CESM Classification 12
- (Law) Majors (CESM Category) 120307 (Intellectual Property)
- SAQA Registered.
- Copyright Law
- Trademark Law
- Intellectual Property in the Digital Environment
- Patent Law and the Law of Registered Designs
- Intellectual Property Law: Research Paper
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesInternational Law Public Law Master of Laws (LLM) View 32 other Masters in International Law in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Stellenbosch University and/or in South Africa, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A student with an LLB degree conferred by this University or any other bachelor’s degree in Law (excluding the BIuris degree) and who has attained an average of 60% in the final year of this degree or a comparable achievement in another (for example, foreign) qualification, or a student who has attained a level of proficiency or accomplishment in Law which, in the judgement of the Senate, is regarded as adequate for this purpose, may apply in writing to read for a Master’s degree in Law. The Senate will consider every application on merit.
International1892 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1892 USD per year during 12 months.
National1860 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1860 USD per year during 12 months.
- National Tuition fees - R31 857
- SADC - minimum compulsatory initial fee: R30,000; Tuition fee: R0
- Africa - minimum compulsatory initial fee R30,000; Tuition fee: R0
- Rest of the World - minimum compulsatory initial fee: R30,000; Tuition fee R32,425
Living costs for Stellenbosch
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.