As the name suggests, Materials Science and Engineering at National University of Singapore is a dynamic, interdisciplinary study that combines the fundamental sciences; chemistry, physics and life sciences; with the applied engineering; electronic, mechanical, chemical and bioengineering. Materials make up the things we see and use and Materials Science and Engineering modify them and make them better. This involves studying and designing, processing and fabricating, and developing these functional materials for technological applications, making them useful and reliable in the service of human kind.
There is an additional option to choose two areas of specialisation in Materials Science and Engineering:
- Polymeric and Biomedical Materials
- Nanostructured materials & Nanotechnology
The course curriculum is designed to be flexible in terms of specialisation so that it can be adapted to the future needs of Singapore’s industries. In addition, the syllabus is structured taking into account the 3 main core platforms of the department, which is applying functional nano-materials in biomedical technology, infocom technology and sustainable energy technology.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Structure and Properties of Materials
- Materials Characterization
- Advanced Biomaterials
- Polymer Processing Engineering
- Advanced Polymeric Materials
- Membrane Science And Technology
- Advanced Concrete Technology
- Tribology and Mechanics of Magnetic Storage Systems
- Applied Engineering Magnetics
- Semiconductor Fundamentals
- Fundamentals of Nanoelectronics
- Plasma Processes and Interconnects
- Applied Stress Analysis
- Applied Plasticity
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology
- Admission requires at least a relevant bachelor's degree with 2nd Class Honours or its equivalent.
- Although candidates with good first degrees and practical working experience after obtaining their first degrees are admitted, meeting the admission requirements does not guarantee admission.
International18997 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 37994 USD for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
National18997 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 37994 USD for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
The National University of Singapore [NUS] offers scholarships each year to nationals of ASEAN* member countries to take full-time coursework graduate degrees at NUS. This scholarship is for new, incoming students. Singapore citizens and permanent residents are ineligible. These awards, known as the NUS Graduate Scholarship for ASEAN nationals [NUS GSA], are financed by the People of Singapore and the University. The scholar has no obligation or bond to NUS or Singapore but is expected to complete the graduate degree and return to the home country to assist in the progress and development of the home country.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.