Why to study
The School of Economics at the University of Cape Town is one of the largest departments in the University, offering tuition to more than 3 500 undergraduate students and approximately 100 postgraduate students.
At UCT, as at universities all over the world, enrolments in economics classes are growing more rapidly than in any other discipline. This is not surprising: there exists ever broadening scope for students who have specialised or majored in economics during their studies who wish to pursue a career in the field.Economics is the study of economic life. It asks what, how and why goods are produced, and who benefits. Economics covers ‘micro’ subjects like the economics of the firm (profit maximisation, etc.) and ‘macro’ issues like unemployment, inflation and economic growth.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Quantitative Methods for Economists
- Advanced Macroeconomics
- Advanced Microeconomics OR
- Advanced Econometrics
- International Finance
- Natural Resource Economics
- Labour Economics
- Applied International Trade
- Views of Institutional and Behavioural Economics
- Applied Time Series Analysis
- Applied Growth Theory
- Macroeconomic Policy Analysis
- Research & Policy Tools
- Problems of Globalisation, Industrialisation and Development
- Industrial Organisation
- Development Microeconomics
- Governance and Growth
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics View 23 other Masters in Economics in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An average of at least 65% in an Honours degree in Economics.
- Applicants may be required to undertake a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test.
- Students who have completed equivalent courses at the Master level may apply for exemption, but not credits, from particular courses.
- Recommendation of acceptance is at the discretion of the Graduate Committee.
International3764 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3764 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National1608 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1608 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
- National : R 27 000
- International fee: R 63 200
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.