- Coursework provides a solid foundation in parasitology, vector biology and other infectious diseases of public health significance. Foundational public health courses and specialty courses in biological, cellular and epidemiological aspects of pathogens and infectious disease comprise the curriculum. Students are also required to carry out original research and write a thesis based on the findings of the research project.
Graduates of the MS degree in Tropical Medicine at Tulane University are expected to find careers in public health, biomedical sciences, or related fields at academic institutions, governmental and non-governmental organizations, health care organizations, or biotechnology/pharmaceutical companies. Many individuals enter the program with the intention of subsequently pursuing doctoral or medical degrees.
The following competencies are necessary for success in the particular branch of public health to which this degree relates. They were developed through rigorous analysis of employers, community and global needs, and the quality standards set forth by accrediting bodies.
- Explain infectious disease including types of organisms, mechanisms or transmission, and natural history.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the biology and immunology of host -pathogen interactions and their outcomes.
- Interpret and effectively communicate research-based peer-reviewed literature to an academic audience.
- Analyze research projects that address specific questions as applied to tropical medicine.
- Identify appropriate statistical tests and research methodology for performing hypothesis-driven research that address public health problems.
- Evaluate how biomedical methods can be applied to public health research.
- Foundations in Public Health
- Biostatistics for Public Health
- Epidemiology for Public Health
- Biological Basis of Disease
- Medical Helminthology
- Medical Entomology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Human Medicine Health Administration View 1027 other Masters in Health Administration in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Tulane University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Official transcripts
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives
- Two letters of recommendation
- Proof of English language proficiency. If you are not a native English speaker, please submit results from TOEFL or IELTS.
- Transcript Evaluation
International32277 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1537 USD per credit during 24 months.
National32277 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1537 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for New Orleans
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.