Why to study
Problems pertaining to the environment, society and sustainability are interdisciplinary in nature and students with backgrounds in geography, natural and social science, planning, engineering, education, economics and law are encouraged to apply.
The MPhil Environment, Society and Sustainability degree at the University of Cape Town is an eighteen month programme that accepts students from a wide range of disciplines who have achieved above average results in a 4 year degree. It provides education in theory relating to environment, society and sustainability. When qualified, you will join the environmental and geographical scientists who are shaping the future by addressing global and local environmental and developmental challenges.
Aims: To produce graduates with:
- a broad understanding of major environmental issues as well as theoretical ideas underpinning sustainable development.
- the ability to effectively analyse and manage environmental and developmental issues, with emphasis on the southern African situation.
Career opportunities: This interdisciplinary Masters programme attracts a broad range of students of varying ages and with different aspirations. Employment opportunities are found in local, provincial and national government; in parastatals; in the private sector (consulting firms and in industry), and in Non-Governmental Organisations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The MPhil curriculum entails course work and a research project. Students register full-time for a period of 18 months.
- The course work component made up of four courses, which may be selected from within and beyond EGS
- The time spent on each module includes a range of activities such as preparatory reading, lectures and seminars, assignments, fieldwork and essays. Each module has its own methods of assessment. Most modules conclude with a written examination at the end of the semester. Each module counts 30 credits towards the degree total of 240 credits.
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSustainable Development Environmental Sciences View 13 other Masters in Sustainable Development in South Africa
- Applicants must hold an Honours degree, or equivalent four year degree.
- Entry to all our postgraduate programmes is competitive. In special circumstances graduates who have shown by examination, or publication, or a record of appropriate training, that they have a reached a level equivalent to an Honours degree may be admitted, at the discretion of the Dean of Science.
- Such cases usually involve research, professional experience or publication that demonstrate competence in an appropriate field, usually considered to encompass approximately five years of experience in a relevant field subsequent to obtaining a first degree in that field.
- If you decide to apply for the programme, please complete the departmental application form, the University application form, and ask your referees to complete the MPhil Reference form.
International3873 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3873 USD per year during 18 months.
National3873 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3873 USD per year during 18 months.
- National : R55 300
- International: must pay the Course Fee for the selected courses + an International Admin Service Fee of R3,750 + the International Term Fee
Living costs for Cape Town
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.