The MA Communication degree at the University of Westminster ensures that you will receive a relevant, well-grounded, high-quality education and skill base, and a clear and comprehensive understanding of communication and the mass media. It is designed both for those who already work in or want to work in the media, and for those who want to go on to pursue further academic research in media and communication.
The course will give you the opportunity to study and research the main ways in which social scientists have analysed the role of the mass media and communication, and how to develop, evaluate and apply research to evaluate those theories.
Students are encouraged to seek work experience in the industry and opportunities are regularly communicated by members of staff. This has often led to full-time employment once graduating from the course. In addition, the MA course takes advantage of the vibrancy of the media environment in London.
For instance, students are encouraged to benefit from events taking place in London, e.g. at Frontline Club. Equally, there are a number of activities within the Department that give plenty of opportunities to students for networking which increases their employability.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories of Communication
- Global Media
- Political Analysis of Communication Policy
- Political Economy of Communication
- Technology and Communication Policy
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences View 236 other Masters in Communication Sciences in United Kingdom
- A minimum of an upper second class honours degree (2:1) or a lower second class honours degree (2:2) and substantial relevant work experience in a humanities or social sciences discipline and/or have relevant professional experience. As part of the application, there is an assignment.
- Applicants are required to submit a short assignment (of no more than 500 words) titled 'Throughout the world, television and cinema screens are full of American programming. Is this a good or a bad thing?'.
International17000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.