You can explore sacred texts and traditions and the roles these play in different cultural, global and historical contexts.
The programme recognises the emerging cross-disciplinary features within the study of theology and religion, and gives you the opportunity to focus on an area that interests you.
Postgraduate study in Theology can help to prepare you for a career in religious education and teaching, social work and youth work, chaplaincy and church ministry, counselling and pastoral care, and community work. You will also develop transferable skills that you can use in a range of other careers in various sectors.
Jobs related to this programme
- Community youth worker
- Religious studies teacher
- Social worker
- Youth pastor
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Areas of research:
- Feminist and postfeminist engagements with religion
- Religion and LGBTI+ identities
- Queer theory and religion
- Religion in popular culture, including art, film, advertising, music and literature
- Evolutionary dynamics of religions
- Quantitative ritual studies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology Religious Studies & Theology View 17 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in New Zealand
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Auckland and/or in New Zealand, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You must have completed a postgraduate qualification, following an undergraduate degree, with a focus on the study of religion.
- Your study must have been at a recognised university (or similar institution) and you will need a GPE of 5.5.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22639 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22639 USD per year during 12 months.
National4671 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4671 USD per year during 12 months.
- Domestic: NZ$8,131.20
- International: NZ$39,407
Living costs for Auckland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.