We offer a master degree in Biological Science at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. The department has close connections with the National Science Foundation taiga Long Term Ecological Research site, located about 20 miles from campus. Our students also have access to the tundra LTER site at Toolik Lake, where the UAF Institute of Arctic Biology runs a field station.
- Facilities available to graduate students on the Fairbanks campus include small mammal colonies, the Large Animal Research Station, both electron and light microscope laboratories, an imaging laboratory and a greenhouse facility.
- Students and faculty work on systematic collections in the UA Museum of the North using a variety of approaches from traditional morphology to molecular biology.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The program has strong research emphases in Arctic plant ecophysiology, plant-animal coevolution, insect ecology (terrestrial and aquatic), bird and mammal physiological ecology, vertebrate population dynamics, biology of seabirds, molecular evolution and systematics, pollution ecology, wetland ecology, population genetics, ungulate biology and wildlife management.
- Advanced degree recipients gain significant teaching experience conducting labs, and a few take primary responsibility for instruction in a course at the undergraduate level. Our graduates have pursued careers in education at the university, community college and secondary levels. Many find professional positions with state and federal resource agencies, with whom the department faculty maintain close contact.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
- Applicants should apply to a graduate degree program at least six to nine months before the beginning of the semester in which they plan to enroll.
DisciplinesBiology View 1186 other Masters in Biology in United States
- Apply online. Applications must be received before the published deadlines, along with a $75 nonrefundable application fee. Applications submitted after the published deadlines are only accepted upon a department's request and have a $100 nonrefundable application fee.
- Review your department’s department-specific requirements and application deadlines.
- Submit certified official university transcripts and English translations.
- Submit official GRE or GMAT test scores. Not all departments require GRE or GMAT scores if the student has earned a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Submit a resume/curriculum vitae.
- Submit a statement of academic goals.
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- Submit official TOEFL or IELTS test results.
- Submit a copy of the passport identification page.
- Complete UAF’s financial statement form and provide supporting documentation showing adequate funding to cover all expenses at UAF.1
International21762 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21762 USD per year during 12 months.
National21762 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21762 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11160 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11160 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairbanks
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.