The curriculum provides students with essential preparation in theory construction, analysis, and research methodologies for conducting original scholarship in communication. Doctoral students may add an interdisciplinary focus in Black Studies, Cognitive Science, Feminist Studies, Global Studies, Language, Interaction & Social Organization, Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences, or Technology & Society.
The Department of Communication at the University of California, Santa Barbara offers advanced study leading to the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree. A terminal M.A. program is not offered.
Black Studies, Cognitive Science; Global Studies; Feminist Studies; Language, Interaction, & Social Organization; Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences; Technology & Society (All Ph.D. only)
- Our graduate program is relatively small by design. We maintain approximately 35 graduate students. Thus, we are able to offer our students the luxury of small seminars, individualized programs, and extensive student-faculty contact.
- At the same time, the scope of the program is broad, encompassing an array of subspecialties in interpersonal communication, media communication, and organizational communication.
- Students in our graduate program are drawn from various parts of the U.S. as well as from other countries.
- Most have backgrounds in communication although we also admit students with degrees in other disciplines such as psychology, sociology, and linguistics.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommunication Studies Philosophy & Ethics View 280 other Masters in Communication Studies in United States
- Online application
- Statement of Purpose, Personal Achievements/Contributions, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Submitted online)
- Unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (Submitted online)
- GRE General test scores
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).
International12852 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12852 USD per year during 12 months.
National12852 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12852 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.