With more than 40 subjects available, you can specialise in an area that you find intellectually rewarding and personally meaningful.
For most subjects we offer both research and taught versions of the MA.
In a research masters you can contribute to the existing knowledge in your field by defining and managing a research project alongside some of New Zealand’s leading scholars.
In a taught masters you can deepen your knowledge in small classes with these leading scholars and complete a smaller research project such as a dissertation.
The Master of Arts from University of Auckland is an effective way to take your knowledge and transferable skills to the next level. Our graduates have combined skills in strategic and critical thinking with global and cultural awareness for careers in fields such as government, international development, museums and cultural heritage, media production, research and policy.
Jobs related to this programme
- Content and advertising manager
- Development officer
- Director of the Maritime Museum
- Intelligence analyst
- Research associate
- Research, evaluation and policy lead
- Strategy and stakeholder manager
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Ancient History
- Applied Linguistics
- Art History
- Asian Studies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
120, 180 or 240
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Visual Arts Art History View 42 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in New Zealand
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Taught 120 points
- You need to have completed a postgraduate qualification, following an undergraduate degree, from a recognised university (or similar institution) in a similar discipline to your intended subject. You will require a GPE of 5.0.
Taught 240 points
- You need to have completed an undergraduate degree at a recognised university (or similar institution) in a similar discipline to your intended subject. You will require a GPE of 5.0.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25888 USD per year during 12 months.
National4510 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4510 USD per year during 12 months.
- Domestic: NZ$6,310.80 – $9,628.80
- International: NZ$36,086 – $44,526
Living costs for Auckland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.