It is a key tenet of the track that the academic study of English literature can be used to reflect on the ways that people - as individuals and as groups - interact with one another, and that it provides a catalyst for insight into contemporary social debates.
Literature captures the separation and the solidarity of its writers and audiences in a manner particular to itself: it is a multidisciplinary practice that is as various as the texts it studies.
At University of Groningen, the English Literature and Culture programme's core themes of conflict and co-operation are linked to sustainable society, a research priority of the university.
A Master's track in English is a well-recognised postgraduate qualification in a market where having a good BA is no longer enough. Graduates go on to work in a variety of fields including the following:
- administrative jobs
- cultural industries
- Crossing Borders: From Literature of Exile to Migrant Fiction
- Literature of Holiness and Heroism: Saints' Lives in Anglo-Saxon England
- Something Wicked this Way Comes': Order and Conflict in Renaissance England
- The Digital Text: The Book Past and Future
- Module from Writing Editing and Mediating
- Interdisciplinary Seminars in Modern Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies View 113 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A BA in the field of English Language, Literature and/or Culture.
- To assess whether your educational/academic background meets the specific programme requirements, we will consider the level and curriculum of your previous studies and the grades that you have obtained. This evaluation is carried out by our Admissions Office and the Admissions Board.
- Applicants with degrees that have a significant amount of credits related to English literatures and cultures may have the option of taking courses from the department's BA degree to qualify for entry to this MA.
International14300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14300 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Groningen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.