The Master of Fine Arts program in Film & Video Production, at The University of Iowa, requires 54 s.h. of graduate credit, 24 of which must be earned at the University of Iowa. Students must earn a minimum g.p.a. of 3.00.
Graduate credit is typically acquired through advanced production courses, graduate colloquia, and advising-centered thesis courses taken over three years. With a focus on expanded documentary, experimental, hybrid, and narrative media forms, the curriculum combines creative and scholarly course work with the aim of producing a body of innovative, artistic work in film, digital media, multimedia installation, and/or animation.
- The film and video production program has a remarkable job placement record, with graduates located in faculty positions at major research universities and prestigious liberal arts colleges throughout the world.
- Through their creative work and published research, graduates are visible and productive contributors to film and video production and related disciplines.
- Within the program, faculty mentor students toward professional careers by supervising their development as both innovative moving-image makers and scholars.
- Regular one-on-one advising sessions, group critiques, workshops on topics such as film festival submissions, job interviews, and related topics prepare students for academic and artistic careers.
- The Pomerantz Career Center offers multiple resources to help students find internships and jobs.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Topics in Cinema and Culture
- Topics in Asian Cinema
- Topics in Documentary Film
- Introduction to Film Analysis
- Modes of Film and Video Production
- Introduction to Film Theory
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 207 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- A Resume/CV
- A statement of purpose
- An Academic/Creative Work Information Form
- A departmental Supplemental Information Form
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International29026 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29026 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 30612 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
In-State11665 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11665 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.