Faculty and students in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences study the physical, chemical, and biological systems of Earth. Using modern observational, analytical, and computational methods, they examine how the planet's interior, surface, hydrosphere, biosphere, and atmosphere have evolved since Earth was born in the solar system 4.6 billion years ago.
The Geoscience master program degree is offered by The University of Iowa.Topics commonly studied in the department include how plate movements cause earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountain building; global climate change and how climate change and catastrophic events cause changes in biodiversity; mass extinctions and patterns of evolution through Earth history; how and where economic resources are generated on Earth; and how these resources are located and used in modern society.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Earth Science Laboratory
- Evolution and the History of Life
- Introduction to Geology
- Big Ideas: Origins of the Universe, Earth, and Life
- Big Ideas: Evolution of Life on Earth and the Search for Life in the Universe
- Introduction to Environmental Science
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeology View 186 other Masters in Geology in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- An Additional Information Form (for field camp and courses)
- Application for Graduate Awards
- A Statement of Purpose (from everyone)
- A copy of the IETLS or TOEFL (for all international students)
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International29026 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29026 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 30612 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State11665 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11665 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.