You will gain greater insight into the importance and role of medical microbiology, with an emphasis on cutting edge areas such as molecular diagnostics and genomics, emerging pathogens and antibiotic resistance.
With the Biomedical Sciences (Medical Microbiology) course offered at the University of Westminster you will study a range of core and option modules that will allow you to tailor studies to your own requirements. You will expand your knowledge of the basic science and analytical techniques relating to medical microbiology and gain an up-to-date understanding of the application of medical microbiology in bioscience/pharmaceutical research, as well as in diagnostic and therapeutic medicine.
There will be an emphasis in the course on development of critical analysis skills in assessment of scientific literature and laboratory data. In addition you will have the opportunity to design and execute your own research project. The course team is supported by visiting lecturers who are practising scientists in the field, which helps to ensure that taught material is current and relevant.
- As well as gaining knowledge and skills in medical microbiology and other associated subject areas you will develop numerous other skills that are designed to make you competitive in the jobs market.
- Some students will already be working in healthcare and public health laboratories in the UK and overseas, while others will be gaining the skills they need to work as a Biomedical or Clinical Scientist.
- The course will also allow you to work in industry, including the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors as well as regulatory affairs. You will also be well prepared for a career in research including further study at PhD level.
The course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Clinical Aspects of Microbial Physiology and Chemotherapy
- Infectious Diseases and Public Health
- Molecular Science and Diagnostics
- Postgraduate Research Methods
- Postgraduate Project
- Automation in Biomedical Sciences
- Communicating Science
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesBiomedicine Microbiology Health Sciences View 272 other Masters in Biomedicine in United Kingdom
- A minimum of a lower second class honours degree (2:2) in biomedical sciences or a closely related discipline.
- Professional qualification of equivalent status and associated work experience or an equivalent qualification deemed suitable by the course team.
International14000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK tuition fee: £8,500 (Price per academic year)
- International tuition fee: £14,000 (Price per academic year)
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.