The Master of Arts program in Historical Studies at University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) is characterized by a core emphasis on academic training in historiographical methods and theory, current conceptual tools and techniques for organizing historical evidence, and primary research in a large number of subject/area specialties.
Department faculty focus their research and teaching in the following fields: United States history (all periods and several sub-areas including politics and public policy, social history, diplomatic history, economic/business history, urban history, women’s history, military affairs, and race relations/civil rights), Pre-Modern European history (including the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and early modern England), Modern European history (with particular emphasis on Britain, France, Germany, Eastern Europe, history of the Holocaust, and Russia), Atlantic World history, institutional and policy history, and Asian history, with particular emphasis on the history of China and Japan.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Students who plan to pursue the traditional M.A. in Historical Studies must earn a minimum of 30 credits. All students are required to take HIST 701 (The Study of History) in the fall semester of their first year, and HIST 702 (The Practice of History) in the spring semester of their first year.
- Students must take six elective courses, with at least three of these courses at the 700 level. (This requirement can be modified with the permission of the Graduate Program Director.)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory View 804 other Masters in History in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- The graduate admissions application form,
- A statement of academic goals and research interests which identifies the faculty members with whom you would most like to work,
- A Resume’ or CV,
- An undergraduate transcript,
- A 5-10 page sample of their academic or professional writing that demonstrates their writing, research, and analytical skills, and
- Three letters of recommendation that provide information about your potential as a scholar and your ability to engage in the academic work of history at the graduate level. (Candidates with questions or concerns regarding such letters are invited to consult with the Graduate Program Director well before the application deadline.).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24336 USD per year during 12 months.
National24336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24336 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State15300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15300 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.