The Applied Molecular Biotechnology program of the University of Massachusetts Amherst combines hands-on laboratory training with lecture-based courses to train students in the latest techniques and concepts of molecular biology and biochemistry. Join this exciting program and let us train you for a career in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries or for advanced graduate studies.
AMB Student Success
AMB students have been very successful with more than 90% placement after graduation. They have gone on to Ph.D. programs, medical and professional schools. The majority are currently working at biotech companies or at research institutions in the Boston area. Jobs and internships came through contacts made through networking events and meeting with a biotech mentors.
Mission of the AMB Program
The AMB program is specifically designed for full-time students with a bachelor's degree who are interested in careers in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. This unique program combines traditional lecture-based courses with an intensive laboratory course (over 50% of the degree requirement) to train students in molecular biology and biochemistry. The curriculum was designed with the biotechnology industry in mind to provide students with a broad knowledge base and the research skills to be competitive for positions in industry or academia.
Upon successful completion of the AMB program, students will:
- Learn molecular biology and biochemistry techniques
- Develop applied research skills in biotechnology
- Conduct independent research on real world problems
- Obtain broad knowledge through courses, laboratory, and the scientific literature
- Develop oral and written communication skills, and data record keeping
- Gain valuable hands-on experience in problem solving
- Compete for internship opportunities at biotechnology companies
- Work in an enthusiastic and supportive environment
- Develop the skills to be competitive for jobs in industry and academia
- AMB Laboratory
- Advanced Topics in Biotechnology
- Advanced Topics in Biochemistry
- Microbial Physiology
- Laboratory in Molecular Genetics
- Molecular Mechanisms in Pathogenesis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Molecular Sciences View 1206 other Masters in Biology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A minimum of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university is required for consideration into graduate programs at UMass Amherst.
Candidates must have demonstrated successful course work in:
- Chemistry and Organic Chemistry are required
- Calculus or Statistics, Biochemistry or Molecular Biology are preferred
- Cell biology, Genetics or independent research are favored
- Previous lab experience is valued when applying
- There is no GRE required for admission
International20380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10190 USD per semester during 12 months.
National20380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10190 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State9342 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4671 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Amherst Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.