The Military History MA from University of Chester engages with traditional military history – campaigns, generalship, tactics and weaponry, for example. However, as the renowned 19th-century German military theoretician Carl von Clausewitz argued, "War is not an independent phenomenon, but the continuation of politics by different means".
Accordingly, the course embraces scholarship more broadly viewing the place and effect of war and of the military within society as a whole, including logistical, economic, political and motivational themes; approaches collectively now considered as forming ‘new military history’.
University Centre Shrewsbury allows you to study at the heart of a rich military heritage. The town of Shrewsbury, the county of Shropshire, and the wider region have a Military History spanning at least 2,000 years. The shire has one of the highest concentrations anywhere of prehistoric Hillforts, and the Roman Army left its impact on the landscape.
Shropshire is densely studded with earthwork and stone-built Medieval castles, and was heavily fought over during the English Civil War. The remains of military installations from both 20th-century World Wars still feature in the Shropshire countryside. Shrewsbury as the county town has had a long relationship with both the regular and part-time British armed forces.
- Military History Research Dissertation
- The British Wars, 1637-1651
- The American Civil War, 1861-1865
- The Theory and History of Western Warfare
- The British Expeditionary Force (BEF) on the Western Front, 1914-1918
- From Irish Republican Army to Army of the Irish Republic
- Research Methods and Skills in History
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMilitary Science History View 30 other Masters in Military Science in United Kingdom
- A 2:1 honours degree in any relevant discipline or an equivalent qualification is required.
- Consideration will be given to those who hold a lower classification who can demonstrate they are capable of performing at the level required to complete the course successfully. Admission is by written application and interview.
- Students from countries outside the UK are expected to have entry qualifications roughly equivalent to UK A Level for undergraduate study and British Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) for postgraduate study.
- We accept a wide range of qualifications and consider all applications individually on merit. We may also take into account appropriate work experience.
International13450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13450 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6885 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6885 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Shrewsbury
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.