The Civil Engineering program of the University of Houston has well equipped research laboratories fitted with state-of-the-art instruments. The structural laboratory has more than 2,500 square feet of strong floor with a 2.5-million-pound MTS testing system, a large panel tester with forty 100- ton jacks, a biaxial fatigue tester and a walk-in chamber for large scale environmental testing. The materials testing laboratory is equipped with a 2-foot-deep strong floor and a 400-kip Tinius-Olsen universal testing machine.
The geotechnical facility includes a laboratory with triaxial testing capability, sophisticated pile test chambers and fully equipped grouting and soil mechanics laboratories. The hydraulic facility is equipped with a fluid mechanics/wave mechanics laboratory with a 50-ft long tilting flume and state-of-the-art ADV and LSPIV. The environmental laboratories encompass a 2,000 square foot analytical research facility with state-of-the-art instrumentation that allows for analysis of most contaminants in soil, water and air as well as microbial and molecular analysis.
The geosensing laboratory includes an optical laboratory and specialized airborne and terrestrial based remote sensing equipment.
The University of Houston is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Internship in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Constructn Project Management
- Graduate Seminar
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 373 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Houston and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A complete admissions application, including official transcripts from all colleges attended and official test scores.
- A B.S.C.E. degree, or the equivalent, from an ABET accredited (or similar) program. Students with degrees in fields related to Civil Engineering may be admitted with certain prerequisite courses specified.
- A grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0/4.0 (B-Average grade) on the last 60 hours attempted.
- Satisfactory scores on the Quantitative and Verbal tests of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Fulfillment of the English Language Proficiency requirements. For details, visit the Graduate School/International students web page.
- Conditional admission may be granted to domestic applicants if the applicant meets a minimum GPA of 2.7 and an acceptable GRE score. Students who are admitted conditionally must achieve a B-average (3.0 GPA) or better in their first four graduate courses (or 12 hours).
International32767 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1057 USD per credit during 12 months.
National32767 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1057 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State17019 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 549 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.