The Art History program at the University of California, Riverside is designed to be accomplished within two years of full-time study; students are strongly encouraged to finish by the end of the sixth quarter of study. Students spend the first year in coursework, taking seminars and lecture courses to become acquainted with a broad range of art historical methods and approaches. MA students are also encouraged to pursue internships and research opportunities at local museums and art organizations, for which they may earn a limited number of course units. In the second year, each student works closely with a faculty advisor to prepare an MA thesis of approximately 60-80 pages.
The thesis allows the student to integrate art historical and theoretical/methodological studies into a sustained independent research project. While students work primarily with faculty in the History of Art, they may also take courses and work with faculty in related disciplines such as Anthropology, Comparative Literature, History, and Media and Cultural Studies, depending on the focus of their research.
- Proseminar in Historiography
- Proseminar in Methodology
- History and Ideology of the Museum
- Seminar in Latin American
- Seminar in Islamic Art and Culture
- Seminar in Asian Art
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 48 units of coursework required for the MA
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History Museum Studies View 454 other Masters in Art History in United States
- Application Fee - The nonrefundable $100.00 application fee ($125.00 for M.B.A./M.P.Ac./M.Fin./Flex M.B.A. applicants only)
- Transcripts - It is very important that all transcripts be sent directly to the graduate program to which you are applying
- Statement of Purpose/Personal History Statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- The Graduate Record Examination
- A writing sample (15–20 pages long) (uploaded files can be no larger than 20MB) preferably on a topic related to your planned area(s) of study
International17696 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8848 USD per semester during 24 months.
National17696 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8848 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State7628 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3814 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Riverside
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.