At VCU, we teach bioinformatics by bringing together the expertise and resources of multiple departments of the university. We host two program options in our Master of Science in Bioinformatics degree, as well as supporting bioinformatics at the doctoral level through the Integrative Life Sciences Ph.D. Read the descriptions below to determine which option might be the best fit for you.
Thesis Option: Master of Science
The Bioinformatics program at Virginia Commonwealth University is a traditional research- and thesis-oriented master’s degree. In addition to course work, students complete a substantial, original research project with a VCU faculty mentor and write a thesis describing that work. This degree program prepares students for employment in an academic, industrial, or government environment and for Ph.D. training programs.
Our program mission
The mission of this research-oriented degree program is to prepare students for research careers in university, foundation or industry laboratories; and completion of a thesis provides problem solving skills required for a research career.
Non-thesis Option: Professional Science Masters
The Master of Science in Bioinformatics, (non thesis option) is a Professional Science Master’s degree program that prepares graduate students to work as a bioinformaticist in a professional environment. In addition to course work featuring both bioinformatics and business fundamentals, students participate in a summer externship at an industrial or government setting. This degree program not only prepares students with advanced training in bioinformatics, but also in workplace skills valued by employers.
Our program mission
The Professional Science Masters program in bioinformatics at VCU trains graduates for leadership roles in biotechnology, biomedicine and other sectors of the life sciences by imparting interdisciplinary knowledge, skills and experience in the biological, quantitative and information sciences, and engaging students in the practices of business and entrepreneurship in collaboration with the commercial and public bioscience sectors.
The bioinformatics curriculum includes courses in bioinformatics, molecular biology and computation, as well as credits for thesis research or externship experiences. Core courses teach students the practice and theory of bioinformatics and provide hands-on experience in the field. Students also take elective courses related to their area of interest, such as network biology, genomics and phylogenetics, modeling and biocomplexity, or algorithms.
- Molecular Genetics
- Quantitative Methods in Bioinformatics
- Basic Scripting Languages
- Integrated Bioinformatics
- Bioinformatics Research
- Seminars in Bioinformatics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Health Informatics Bioinformatics View 193 other Masters in Health Informatics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applications are welcomed from students with various academic backgrounds, such as biology, biotechnology, molecular biology, computer science, mathematics or statistics
- The applicant must provide a personal statement discussing reasons for pursuing graduate study
- All applicants must present grades (marks) that reflect superior ability and serious effort
- All non-native English-speaking applicants must provide evidence of English language proficiency
- Individual departments or schools may have special requirements such as the Graduate Record Examination or Graduate Management Admission Test
- Prospective students who have studied outside of the U.S. must provide an official course-by-course external credential evaluation as a required part of the admission process
- Proof of adequate funds to live and study full time at VCU by submitting an I-20 DS Request Form accompanied by an original bank verification letter
- A $70 state-required application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.