We’re committed to the study and preservation of the cultures of the Greek and Roman Worlds. In our dynamic MA and PhD programs, you’ll earn a foundation in history, literature, and archeology. Armed with this knowledge, you’ll be ready to face the unique challenges of the modern world.
Explore classical language, history, literature and archeology through Greek and Roman Studies at University of Victoria, British Columbia. You’ll spend your first year doing directed readings and working with your supervisor. In your second year, you’ll prepare a thesis that focuses on a particular area or question of interest to you. We encourage you to explore areas that have been under-represented in past scholarship.
All applicants must demonstrate a well-rounded knowledge of the ancient Greek and Roman worlds.
Areas of focus
- Ancient history
- Ancient languages & literature
- Interconnectivity in the ancient Mediterranean world
- Technology in the ancient world
- Social and economic history
- Gender and identity studies in ancient Greece and Rome
- Greek Literature
- Greek History
- Latin Literature
- Roman History
- Ancient Art and Archaeology
- Ancient Philosophy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ancient History General Studies & Classics View 37 other Masters in Ancient History in Canada
- The basic admission requirement is a four-year bachelor degree with at least a B+ (6.0) GPA in one of the several areas of ancient Greek and Roman Studies.
- All MA applicants must be able to demonstrate a well-rounded, comprehensive knowledge of the ancient Greek and Roman worlds.
- MA applicants should ideally have balanced strength in Greek and Latin, or substantial experience in one language and at least basic competence in the other.
- Students who lack sufficient language preparation will be required, in addition to the normal requirements of the MA program, to complete language study to a minimum third-year undergraduate level of one language and second-year level of the other, with a minimum grade of B+ in both.
- Competency in reading French, German or Italian upon admission is advantageous; students will be required to demonstrate reading knowledge of one of these modern languages before completion of the MA degree.
International5074 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5074 CAD per year during 24 months.
National4022 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4022 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Victoria
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.