Medical doctors, attorneys, homemakers, recent college graduates, retirees, teachers, a range of business professionals and others have been accepted into the program. Such diversity – in both age and profession – adds a level of broadmindedness not typically found in the traditional classroom.
The Liberal Studies (MLS) program at Rice University seeks committed, energetic adult students with bachelor’s degrees from an accredited college or university, who have significant life experiences and who are able to communicate effectively.
Upon completing the MLS degree, students will be able to:
- Appreciate major perspectives and methods of the liberal arts by demonstrating a broadened understanding of some basic concepts in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
- Appreciate the connection of the liberal arts to their lives and the larger world.
- Demonstrate a capacity for analytical thinking.
- Demonstrate good writing skills.
- Practice critical listening and good discussion and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrate academic research methods.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Shakespeare and Film
- The epic journey
- Window to the soul: exploring religion and ethnicity through music
- Theory and practice of punishment
- Stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination
- Psychology of beliefs
- "Please sir, I want some more": dickens, oliver twist, poverty, and social justice
- Human rights, gender equality and religious beliefs
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiterature Political Science View 275 other Masters in Political Science in United States
- GPA Requirement 3.0 or higher
- TOEFL scores if the applicant's native language is not English (a TOEFL score of 600 or higher on the paper test or 90 or higher on the iBT version is required for admission to Rice), or IELTS score in lieu of TOEFL (an IELTS score of 7 or greater is required) and;
- At least three letters of recommendation from teachers or advisors;
- Unofficial transcripts of grades from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended
- General GRE scores (use the code 6609 for Rice; do not worry about a department code)
International3125 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3125 USD per module during 24 months.
National3125 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3125 USD per module during 24 months.
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.