The Reading Specialist program from Rutgers University is designed to enable teachers to plan programs appropriate for children of differing abilities and diverse cultural backgrounds based on research and theory. The program also fosters a vision of literacy learning as an active social process in which students become engaged readers with strategies for independent reading and the motivation to read for pleasure and for information.
Applicants to this endorsement program must have a master’s degree, a New Jersey standard instructional certificate, and two years of full-time teaching experience. Individuals who are interested in becoming certified as a reading specialist while simultaneously earning a master’s degree should explore the Ed.M. program for reading specialist certification.
Students admitted to this nondegree program may apply to the Ed.M. program for reading specialist certification prior to completing 12 credits and, upon acceptance, may complete both the reading specialist certificate and the master’s degree. Additional requirements beyond the 30 required credits for the certificate include taking 6 credits in consultation with an adviser and completing a portfolio project. It is essential to apply early because taking the courses does not guarantee acceptance to the master’s program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Theoretical Foundations of Literacy: Research, Policy, and Practice
- Diagnosis and Correction of Reading Difficulties
- Clinical Practicum in Reading (Laboratory in Remedial Reading)
- Literacy Research and Supervision
- Summer Institute in Literacy (Current Issues)
- Teaching the Language Arts
- Teaching Writing for Children and Adolescents
- Teachers as Writers
- Digital Literacies
- Writing Project Workshop: Bringing Research and Theory into Practice
- Teaching Struggling Readers
- Literacy Development in the Early Years
- Literacy Strategies for Secondary-Level and Adult Learners
- Literacy Development in the Elementary and Middle School
- Coaching: Leadership, Supervision, & Professional Development
- Reading and Writing Across Content Disciplines
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies View 941 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Official academic transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies must be submitted.
- Applicants are not usually admitted with a GPA of less than 2.75 in their most recent degree. A letter of recommendation from your current or previous school principal or supervisor on school district letterhead, certifying the completion of three years of successful full-time teaching under the appropriate certificate is required.
- A photocopy of a New Jersey Standard Instructional Certificate is required - upload in "Supporting Material" section. No program requirements may be met at any other institution.
International15072 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15072 USD per year during 12 months.
National15072 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15072 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8868 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8868 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for New Brunswick
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.