In order to be eligible for the Reading Specialist/Supervision certificates, program graduates must have an initial New Jersey teaching certification with two years of full-time experience as a classroom teacher to be eligible for Reading Specialist certification and three years to be eligible for the Supervisor certification.
The Reading Specialist and Supervisor program of Rutgers University is designed to enable students to initiate new programs, evaluate curriculum, design assessment, engage other teachers in professional development, and be able to act as a leader in the school. These individuals will be able to plan programs for children of differing abilities and diverse cultural backgrounds. These students should also be able to foster a vision of literacy learning as an active social process in which students become engaged readers with strategies for independent reading, and the motivation to read for pleasure and for information.
The program requires 33 credits of study. Students will develop a broad understanding of literacy issues by taking core courses on the development of literacy, the diagnosis and remediation of reading problems, curriculum development and supervision of literacy programs. Students will also study theory and research in the field. Additional credits include courses dealing with strategies for literacy instruction, with administration and supervision, and with learning cognition and development.
- Theoretical Foundations of Literacy: Research, Policy, and Practice
- Diagnosis and Correction of Reading Difficulties
- Clinical Practicum (Laboratory in Remedial Reading)
- Literacy Research and Supervision
- Topics in Learning and Teaching: Summer Institute in Literacy
- Teaching Writing for Children and Adolescents
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Teaching View 1798 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation. One letter of recommendation from the applicant's current or previous school principal or supervisor, on school district letterhead, certifying the completion of two years of successful, full-time employment under a New Jersey Standard Instructional Certificate or Educational Services Certificate.
- Official undergraduate transcripts.
- Photocopy or electronic copy of a New Jersey Standard Instructional Certificate or Educational Services Certificate.
International30900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15450 USD per semester during 24 months.
National30900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15450 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State18180 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9090 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for New Brunswick
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.