Performance/Media Studies allows students to study writing for television or the stage with playwright Michele Rittenhouse, urban and narrative journalism with Professor Rob Snyder, or jazz influences with Lewis Porter Cultural/Political/Ethnic Studies allows students to choose courses in History, Liberal Studies, American Studies, Urban Education, Political Science, Global Affairs, African-American Studies, or Women’s and Gender Studies. RU-N’s Electives Concentration is designed to support our MFA students in their completion of courses that specifically contribute to the fiction, poetry or nonfiction works they will turn in as Theses. The Creative Writing program is offered at Rutgers University.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Deepen and specify still more: MFA students will fulfill 6 of the required 18 elective hours by choosing one of three unique Electives Concentrations. Virtually no other program in the country gives students the opportunity to work in such a wide range of genres for elective credits. Those who choose Literature/Book Arts will work with photographer Nick Kline to design and publish a chapbook of their own work.
- Rutgers University-Newark MFA students may also make use of resources provided by theInstitute for Jazz Studies, the Institute for Ethnicity, Culture, and the Modern Experience, the Paul Robeson Gallery, Dana Library and its Book Arts program, and the Cornwall Center for Metropolitan Studies. The RU-N MFA Program also enjoys affiliations with The Newark Museum, the New Jersey Historical Society, the Newark Public Library, and Aljira, a Center for Contemporary Art, all a short walk from campus.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 271 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- Rutgers-Newark Graduate School Application Application (fee: $65) must be completed online, however you will need to mail three (3) hard copies of the writing sample, personal statement and resume to the Graduate Admissions office.
- GRE Test Scores (for teaching-based aid packages) GRE scores are strongly encouraged, but not required for admission. However, if you are applying for an aid package that includes teaching (Teaching Assistantship or Part-Time Lecturer), GRE scores are required.
- Writing Sample (3 Hard Copies)
International15072 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15072 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National15072 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15072 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State8868 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8868 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.