About this Degree
Our global ocean fuels our economy, supports vibrant coastal communities, and provides vital habitat for innumerable marine species. Indeed, the ecological, oceanographic and biological systems that lie beneath our ocean’s surface create the very building blocks of life, supporting complex food webs that cascade through every tier of the natural world.
But new and expanding ocean uses put additional pressure on these fragile systems and humans are altering the chemistry and temperature of our waters. To address these marine conservation issues, we need innovative thought leaders who understand the multifaceted and interconnected nature of these pressing challenges.
At the University of California, San Diego teach current and future Marine Biodiversity and Conservation professionals about marine ecosystems through an interdisciplinary, hands-on curriculum in marine biology, ecology, oceanography, communication, economics, justice, law and policy.
- Biological Oceanography
- Polar System Science
- Marine GIS
- Benthic Ecology
- Sustainable Seafood
- Biology of Fishes
- Physical Oceanography
- Climate Science and Policy
- Advanced Workshop in Communication Media
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiodiversity & Conservation Marine Studies View 144 other Masters in Marine Studies in United States
- Statement of Purpose: In ~750 words, describe your interest in this field, demonstrated commitment to the ocean, and rationale for applying to the program. Please explain why you are applying to the MAS MBC Program and what you hope to achieve with this degree.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a preferred minimum 3.0 GPA
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- College Transcripts
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): for international applicants only, minimum score is 85 (iBT) or 550 (PBT), or 7 IELTS
- The GRE is not required. You may submit GRE/GMAT results if you feel they will greatly strengthen your application
International32589 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32589 USD per year during 12 months.
National32589 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32589 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State17487 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17487 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for San Diego
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.