Recent advances in digital audio technology have seen an explosion of interest in surround sound for home entertainment and virtual reality, voice recognition and synthesis applications, as well as environmental and architectural acoustics.
This The Music Technology programme from the University of York provides thorough grounding in scientific theory and creative engineering techniques in audio technology, audio analysis and audio programming. It will prepare you for further research or employment in the audio technology and digital creative industries.
You'll be forging connections in the industry right from the start of your course. Throughout their studies, previous students have collaborated with companies such as Google, Abbey Road, AECOM, Music Tribe and many more.
- Sound systems designer
- Audio app developer
- Audio DSP engineer
- Acoustic consultant
- Acoustic test engineer
- Audio programmers
- Research and development
- PhD study
- Game audio programmer
- Automotive audio systems designer
Accredited by the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET) under licence from the UK regulator, the Engineering Council. Some employers recruit preferentially from accredited degrees, and an accredited degree is likely to be recognised by other countries that are signatories to international accords.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- iOS Programming for Audio
- Voice Acoustics and Applications
- Audio Signals and Psychoacoustics
- Personal Professional Practitioner
- Music Perception and Critical Listening
- Project Development
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications can be submitted year-round, but we recommend you apply as early as possible as entry to many courses is competitive.
DisciplinesElectronics & Embedded Technology Music View 263 other Masters in Music in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:1 or equivalent in Music or Music Technology, or a related technology, mathematics, science, engineering or computing degree where candidates can demonstrate music performance or music production skills.
- We are willing to consider applications from students with lower qualifications, particularly when the student has high marks in relevant modules and/or appropriate industrial experience. As a general rule, we prefer subjects that have a technical element or significant industrial experience. This is assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9730 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9730 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.