With extensive financial aid offerings (over 90% of second year students receive full tuition scholarship awards), the Master’s program in Middle Eastern Studies at University of Chicago offers affordability in addition to rigor.
- The Master’s program offers maximum flexibility for students to specialize in fields of their choice, as evidenced by the range of MA thesis topics.
- Students work closely with faculty in a wide range of fields, including anthropology, political science, Islamic studies, literature, public policy, economics and business, history, theology, and philosophy.
- MA program alumni are successful in many professional fields and in gaining admission to top doctoral programs.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- There are two tracks—modern and ancient—for the MA program in Middle Eastern Studies. The modern program covers the time period from the rise of Islam until the present.
- The ancient track, offered in collaboration with the faculty of the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, focuses on the cultures and languages of the ancient Near East. The application process, degree requirements, and the rules and conditions for financial aid are similar for both programs.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Islamic Studies View 13 other Masters in Islamic Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants for the Master of Arts in Middle Eastern Studies are expected to meet the graduate admission requirements of the University and of the division to which they apply. In addition, applicants to the Middle Eastern Studies program must submit an academic writing sample.
- All applicants for whom English is not a primary language may be required to submit current scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Current scores are no more than two years old at the time of application submission. A complete description of the English proficiency policy may be found at this website.
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.