Master’s program in Film and Television - Film Directing from Aalto University deepen the student’s visual and dramaturgical abilities, provides competence in production and directing actors as well as enforces the student’s ability to lead a creative process in collaboration with other artistic leads. The goal of the education is to provide the necessary skills to direct a feature-length film and a fiction TV -series.
A student who graduates from master’s studies in Film directing is able to direct a feature-length film and fiction TV-series. Film directors work mostly as freelancer directors in domestic film production companies, in television production companies and at Yleisradio (Finnish Broadcasting Company) as television drama and radio play directors.
They can also work in commercial film and video productions and non-fiction productions, and as instructors in the field at universities of applied science and media institutions.
- Film Analysis and Essay Writing
- Master Clinic
- Advanced Information Literacy
- MA Seminar
- Film History Specialisation
- MA Master Class
- MA Film Excercise
- Worshops in Directing
- Genre Workshop
- International Studies (MA)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 12 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in Finland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Scanned colour copy of the original Bachelor’s degree certificate
- Scanned colour copy of the original official transcript of study records.
- If you have any other higher education degrees you wish to be taken into consideration in admissions, scanned colour copies of degree certificate and official transcript of records. If documents are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, scanned colour copies of authorised translations are required as well.
- Copy of a valid passport or an official government-issued identification card with photo and information on citizenship.
- Portfolio (electronic)
- Demonstrating proficiency in English
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.