A student of cinematography has a wide-ranging mastery of artistic means of expression, cinematography methods and challenging technical concepts, equipment and work methods. In addition, the student becomes familiar with both the cinematographer’s changing role and also the use of new artistic and technical working methods and technologies along with innovative research connected with them.
The goal of Film and Television - Cinematography from Aalto University is to reinforce the student’s personal strengths and development in line with personal artistic vision, deepen cooperation skills with others responsible for artistic film work, and provide the skills needed for independent research work.
A cinematographer with an MA is able to work as the person with artistic responsibility in demanding drama, documentary and advertising films. A graduate of the major in Cinematography is able to work as a cinematographer in a feature-length drama film, documentary film, television or advertising film. Cinematographers also work as instructors in the field at universities of applied science and media institutions.
Although the goal of education is to primarily produce professionals with strong personalities for the film industry, it also encourages students to apply for further studies and lifelong learning.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Night Exterior Lighting
- Advanced MA Lab tor Film Art
- Film Cinematography Analysis
- Cinematography Courses with Varying Content
- Documentary Cinematography
- Sound Recording and Cinematography in Challenging
- Circumstances (in collaboration Witn Film Sound Design)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 13 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in Finland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Scanned colour copy of the original Bachelor’s degree certificate
- Scanned colour copy of the original official transcript of study records.
- If you have any other higher education degrees you wish to be taken into consideration in admissions, scanned colour copies of degree certificate and official transcript of records. If documents are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, scanned colour copies of authorised translations are required as well.
- Copy of a valid passport or an official government-issued identification card with photo and information on citizenship.
- Portfolio (electronic)
- Demonstrating proficiency in English
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.