Applied Linguistics is an interdisciplinary field of research and instruction that integrates aspects of fields such as linguistics, English, teacher education, speech communication, psychology, sociology and anthropology into a distinct field focused on issues related to the learning and teaching of a second/foreign language, such as the teaching and learning of English as a second language (ESL).
The faculty of the Applied Linguistics MA program from Georgia State University are teacher-scholars with national and international reputations in their areas of expertise.
Special Opportunities for Graduate Students include:
- Working with members of the faculty as research assistants
- Teaching in the department’s Intensive English Program
- Teaching in the ESL community in Atlanta
- Assisting in classes taught by ESL professionals
- Tutoring ESL students at various levels of proficiency
- Helping to develop social and cultural programming for ESL students
- Living and studying in a multinational, multicultural urban environment
- Participating in professional development activities of the international Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), the American Association of Applied Linguists, Georgia TESOL and other professionally relevant organizations.
- Taking part in study abroad in programs in Argentina or Mexico.
- Second Language Acquisition
- Approaches to Teaching Second/Foreign Languages
- English Grammar for ESL/EFL Teachers
- Intercultural Communication
- The Sound System of English
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 632 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- Proof of baccalaureate or graduate degree completion inside (from an accredited institution) or outside the U.S., where English is the official language of academic instruction.
- Cost to apply is $50.
- If degree transcripts are not in English, the transcripts must be translated.
- If it is a three-year degree, credential evaluation is required.
- If it is a four-year degree, the student should submit transcripts to be reviewed by an international admissions coordinator.
- For International applicants (only): official scores on the TOEFL or IELTS exam.
- A typed statement of professional and academic goals no more than three pages in length (including a description of prior teaching experience, language study, and cross-cultural experiences, if any)
- Three letters of reference, preferably from former teachers who can comment on academic preparation and potential.
International30216 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15108 USD per semester during 24 months.
National30216 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15108 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State9552 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4776 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Atlanta
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.