Study the literature, culture and history of the long 18th century from new perspectives.
Taught by world-leading scholars from the Departments of English, History, History of Art, and Archaeology, you’ll explore many different aspects of the era. You can construct a distinct programme of study from a range of options across the different disciplines. You'll develop an intellectual curiosity that is open to different methods of inquiry, and will carry out a substantial piece of independent research.
You’ll engage with the wider research culture of the Centre for Eighteenth Century Studies , which is based in the historic King's Manor, and be part of the Humanities Research Centre, a vibrant interdisciplinary hub.
Careers and skills
The postgraduates of the Eighteenth Century Studies programme from University of York go into academia and teaching, arts administration, journalism, broadcasting, public relations, social work, politics, the civil service, and management consultancy. Many alumni have also gone on to become successful novelists, poets and playwrights.
- Advertising, marketing, and public relations
- Arts administration
- Civil and diplomatic services
- Film, radio, social media, television, and theatre
- Journalism and broadcasting
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Changes of Meaning, Narratives of Change
- Postgraduate Life in Practice
- Art & Raj: Visual Culture & British Imperialism in India c.1780-c.1900
- British Orientalisms, c. 1750-c.1850
- Empires of Improvement
- Fashion: Theories, Material & Images (1540-1940)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications can be submitted year-round, but we recommend you apply as early as possible as entry to many courses is competitive.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History View 639 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:1 or equivalent qualification. We do not assume that you have any prior knowledge of more than one discipline, or that you wish to abandon whatever discipline you pursued in your earlier studies. We will consider applications from students with lower qualifications, particularly if you have high marks in relevant modules or appropriate professional experience.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8440 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8440 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £4,220
- International/EU: £9,350
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.