The Psychology - Theory and Research programme at KU Leuven aims to guide students to become independent researchers in psychological science through:
- thorough training in statistics and research methodology
- the in-depth study of the basic disciplines of psychology, supplemented with a specialization in subdisciplines like neuroscience, perception, cognition and language, emotion, social and cross-cultural psychology, learning psychology, quantitative psychology and so on.
In addition to individual and group-based coursework, students become immersed in ongoing multidisciplinary research at the faculty.
The primary purpose of the Master of Psychology: Theory and Research is to prepare students to pursue a PhD project or a research career outside academia. Many of our graduates go on to pursue academic careers at top universities. The programme also provides a solid background for international careers in a variety of other settings, such as:
- scientific research and policy functions in research institutes
- somatic and mental health treatment institutions
- centres for educational research and counselling
- insurance providers
- government agencies
- pharmaceutical, food, and medical technology industries.
- Statistics VI (Seminar on Statistical Analyses of Psychological Research Data)
- Advanced Research Methods in Psychology
- Topics in Psychonomic Science
- Topics in Psychology of Individual Differences
- Topics in Lifespan Developmental Psychology
- opics in Behavioural Neuroscience
- Topics in Social and Cultural Psychology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPsychology Educational Research Neuroscience View 3 other Masters in Neuroscience in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
To be eligible and to ensure an optimal match with the programme, the following selection criteria apply:
- holder of a Bachelor or Master's degree in the field of Humanities (e.g. Psychology) or in the field of Science and Technology
- a strong background in statistics and research methods
- clear affinity with psychological research
- English language proficiency (see below)
International1250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1250 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA961 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 961 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.