Program Strengths and Opportunities
- The Geographic Information Science program of Michigan Technological University builds a strong foundation in core geospatial principles.
- Thesis and report options are also available for those interested in pursuing a research project as part of their degree (note that all course requirements of the degree must be satisfied).
- The program includes interdisciplinary studies in statistics, communications, environmental policy, and business.
- The US Department of Labor's Geospatial Technology Competency Model, which outlines skills and knowledge needed to perform as an effective GIS professional, was used as a guide to develop Michigan Tech's MGIS degree program.
GIS is ranked among the top 100 best careers in the US, with a 10-percent annual growth rate. Some of the biggest users are utilities, transportation, telecommunications, and education. Your career options also include demographics, natural resources, urban and regional planning, public health and epidemiology, law enforcement, and homeland security.You don't need to be an IT expert. Because GIS has so many applications, and deals intimately with computers and data, the profession is often associated and combined with information technology. IT experience is useful, but you need a wide range of skills besides computer literacy to be a successful geospatial professional.
- Digital Image Processing
- Geographical Information Systems
- Remote Sensing
- Spatial Modeling
- Geographic Information Science and Spatial Analysis
- GIS Applications for the Graduate Researcher
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
Apply at least a semester in advance of projected admission to improve your chances of receiving funding.
DisciplinesGeography Informatics & Information Technology Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 639 other Masters in Informatics & Information Technology in United States
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (1 Letter of Recommendation for Michigan Tech students)
- Résumé / Curriculum vitae
- Admitted applicants typically have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
- GRE not required
- TOEFL: Required Score of 79 iBT
- IELTS: Required Overall Band Score of 6.5
- Due to recent changes within our University, Michigan Tech requires a minimum 79 overall TOEFL or 6.5 overall IELTS score.
International22458 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22458 USD per year during 12 months.
National22458 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22458 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Houghton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.