Our interdisciplinary approach fuses archaeology, historic preservation, the history of technology, material culture, the history of architecture, and anthropology. Hands-on fieldwork, archaeological surveys, and excavation—as well as architectural, historical, and archival research - reflect the emphasis upon the material remains of industry.
The MS in Industrial Archaeology prepares students for careers in cultural resource management firms or for additional academic study. Most students complete the program in two years, including a summer of field work at the West Point Foundry site, in Cold Spring, New York.
Michigan Tech’s Archaeology Laboratory supports the processing, documenting, and cataloging of artifacts from field excavations.
- Michigan Tech offers one of the few industrial archaeology programs in the world.
- Industrial archaeology faculty members serve on the boards of professional and scholarly organizations and have won awards for their publications.
- The industrial archaeology graduate programs maintain close ties with the Michigan Historical Center, the US Forest Service, and the National Park Service. We take advantage of our proximity to the many historical industrial sites within the Keweenaw National Historical Park, Isle Royale National Park, and the Hiawatha and Ottawa National Forests.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesArchaeology View 38 other Masters in Archaeology in United States
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Résumé / Curriculum vitae
- IA-related Writing Sample
- TOEFL: Recommended score of 100 iBT
- IELTS: Recommended Overall Band Score of 7.0
International12825 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12825 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National12825 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12825 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
The majority of financial assistance for graduate students at Michigan Tech comes from assistantships. An assistantship includes a stipend, and a proportional amount of tuition and academic fees for full-time enrollment. Assistantship duties are designed to enhance your graduate education experience and provide professional development opportunities.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.