The MS degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Mechanics are offered with a project component, or as the Signature Master’s course work-only degree, which can be completed in one year. Current Michigan Tech undergraduate students can earn a MS degree with just a single year of study beyond the BS through the Accelerated Master's Program.
Research is focused in five key areas.
- Advanced Power Systems: Critical technologies for clean, efficient, and sustainable power systems; and modeling of energy transport and conversion processes.
- Multi-scale Sensors and Systems: Research includes nanofabrication and characterization, microfabrication processes, and bio-nanotechnology.
- Multidisciplinary Engineering Dynamic Systems: Collaborative research at the interface of engineering disciplines such as dynamics, vibration, acoustics, signal processing, and controls.
- Mechanics of Multi-scale Materials: Constitutive modeling of biomaterials, cellular materials, biological tissues, and artificial organs.
- Space Systems: Innovative components, systems, and architectures for micro and nanosatellite applications.
- Research funded by industry, the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, NASA, and the Department of Defense
- Graduate program ranked in the top 50 nationally by U.S. News World Report
- The US Peace Corps has approved the establishment of a Peace Corps Master's International (PCMI) program in mechanical engineering at Michigan Tech, the first and only one of its kind in the nation.
- The department is one of the largest in the nation
- This program is available as an accelerated master's degree.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Admissions Decisions made on a rolling basis
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering View 309 other Masters in Mechanical Engineering in United States
To be considered for admission to the Graduate School as a degree- or certificate-seeking student, you need to:
- have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution, and
- be prepared for advanced study in your chosen field, as demonstrated by your previous degree and your scholastic record.
- Required Materials
- Student Statements
- Official Transcripts
- Admissions Tests
- Letters of Recommendation
- Program Required Documents:
- Review all of the documents required by your program(s) of interest prior to beginning the application process. Additional documents/requirements you may need include:
International43434 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21717 USD per semester and a duration of .
National43434 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21717 USD per semester and a duration of .
The majority of financial assistance for graduate students at Michigan Tech comes from assistantships. An assistantship includes a stipend, and a proportional amount of tuition and academic fees for full-time enrollment. Assistantship duties are designed to enhance your graduate education experience and provide professional development opportunities.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.