During Film Studies course at Kingston University you will be able to research a variety of areas, including Film and Philosophy, Gender and Sexuality, British Cinema from 1960s to the present day, and Film and Adaptation. You will also be introduced to the main areas of debate in the history of film theory and criticism.
Through a dissertation/major project, you will research a chosen topic in depth, developing your ideas in collaboration with a supervisor drawn from our teaching team.
If you are interested in further research, this course provides an excellent foundation for MPhil/PhD study.
Graduates from the MA in Film Studies have gone on to a variety of roles within industry and education. This includes work in film marketing and distribution, film programming, journalism, and editing, and a variety of roles in archiving and curating. Several students developed ideas first encountered on the Film Studies MA into successful PhD projects, and have gone on to pursue careers in education and research.
Many of our Film Studies postgraduates have progressed to exciting roles as:
- Film Programmer/Exhibitor
- Film Journalist
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Film History Theory and Analysis
- Film and Philosophy
- Cinematic Animals: Monsters, Beasts, and Humans on Film
- British Cinema 1960s to Today
- Special Study: Avant-Garde and Experimental Cinema
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, applications will close when the course is full.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 374 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Kingston University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A 2:2 or above honours degree in a humanities subject (Film, Media Studies, Languages, History, English, etc) or in the History of Art, Fine Art or other studio-based subjects which include an art historical or contextual studies component, or another area appropriate to the degree.
- Consideration is also given to non-standard entrants with relevant work experience that demonstrates the necessary skills and intellectual achievement required to undertake the course.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8770 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8770 GBP per year during 12 months.
UK students tuition fees:
- MSc part time: £4,823
- MSc part time: £9,130
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.