- You will benefit from high levels of staff-student contact, including individual tutorials, from versatile and internationally recognised teaching staff with a range of interests, projects and publications.
- You will be part of a large, supportive community, studying with committed and engaged peers.
- The course is based at the UK's leading Centre for Research in Modern European Philosophy at Kingston University, which organises conferences, workshops and regular research seminars.
What will you study?
The Aesthetics and Art Theory course at Kingston University combines a grounding in philosophical aesthetics in the modern European tradition with study of contemporary art theory and the philosophy of art history. Canonical authors studied include Adorno, Derrida, de Duve, Duchamp, Greenberg, Heidegger and Kant. You will engage with some of the most influential texts in modern and contemporary art theory - from Kant and Schiller via Greenberg and Adorno to Rancière and Deleuze - framed in terms of fundamental conceptual problems inherited from the German Idealists.
You will also gain a clear overview of philosophical approaches to modern and contemporary art, distinguishing between ‘aesthetic', ‘Romantic' and ‘Modernist' problematics. You may also choose from a range of option modules from the Modern European Philosophy and Philosophy & Contemporary Critical Theory MA courses.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Kant and the Aesthetic Tradition
- Philosophy Dissertation
- Art Theory: Modernism, Avant-Garde, Contemporary
- Contemporary European Philosophies
- Critique, Practice, Power
- Hegel and his Legacy
- Kant and his Legacy
- Nietzsche and Heidegger
- Philosophy and Psychoanalysis
- Philosophy of Art History
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, applications will close when the course is full.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Philosophy & Ethics View 377 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
- Applicants should normally hold a good (upper-second [2:1] or first-class honours, or the equivalent) undergraduate degree in Philosophy or a related subject.
- Applicants with other kinds of qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
International14500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6900 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- MA part time: £3,795
- MA part time: £7,975
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.