Drawing together a rich and diverse range of material, documentary and landscape sources, you will have the chance to explore dynamic and globally significant themes, from capitalism to colonialism. You'll gain practical training in analysing and interpreting evidence, from excavations and standing buildings to designed landscapes and artefacts.
The knowledge and skills you'll develop on this Historical Archaeology programme from University of York will provide an unrivalled insight into the past and present, giving you a head start in many heritage or historic careers and research, as well as a range of other sectors.
Careers and skills
Over the course of the year, you'll develop highly valued and transferable skills, knowledge and experience essential for a wide variety of careers. Many students go on to further study or take up employment with a range of organisations both within and outside the heritage sector, including the civil service and law firms, heritage consultancies and museums.
Graduates have gone on to work with many organisations relating to archaeology, including:
- landscape and environmental consultancies
- professional bodies
- heritage organisations such as English Heritage and the National Trust
- the media
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Making the Nation
- Empires of Improvement
- Interpreting Historic Buildings
- The Archaeology of Human Bones
- Debates in Museum Theory and Practice
- Artefacts from Excavation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications can be submitted year-round, but we recommend you apply as early as possible as entry to many courses is competitive.
DisciplinesArchaeology History View 643 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:1 or equivalent in Archaeology or a related field such as History, History of Art, Geography or English Literature. We also consider applicants who have a 2:2 degree and relevant work experience.
Other qualifications and experience
- Non-graduate applications will be considered from those with three years practical or professional experience, broadly related to the topics within historical archaeology or those disciplines listed above. Applicants are normally interviewed before an offer is made.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8440 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8440 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time (2 years)
- UK: £4,220
- International/EU: £9,350
- UK: £2,813
- International/EU: £6,233
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.