The objective of this study programme is to provide students with the necessary knowledge and skills to become professionals in modern democratic government, civil society, politics and international organizations. It provides in-depth knowledge about:
- the global, historical context of democracy
- modern democratic institutions
- public policy and governance- political theory and ethics
- elections and political behavior
- comparative ethnopolitics
Students graduating from this programme:
- will have comprehensive knowledge of modern democratic institutions and their political processes;
- will be able to identify and analyze key problems and processes of democratic governance, involving both government institutions and civil society;
- will have the proper research skills to perform policy analysis and contribute to policy formation;
- will obtain an international perspective that will enrich their qualifications both in their home country and globally.
Why study democracy and governance at the University of Tartu ?
- The University of Tartu belongs to the TOP 1.2% of the world's best universities (QS and THE rankings)
- Democracy and Governance are at the heart of the social and political transformation that has characterized Estonia over the last two decades. Estonia is one of the most dynamic reformers in Europe. It's a leader in e-government, internet-based voting and other governance fields.
- Estonia is the place to study how democracy and governance can be combined in today’s world of globalization and change. The MA programme is based on learning this success combining it with studies about the global theories and trends in politics.
- Graduates can work as political scientists, politicians, political aides, consultants, political commentators in media, policy analysts, non-academic researchers, issue-related civic activists, consultants or managers of non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and initiatives concerned with public accountability, equality, minority rights, refugee support or other crucial components of a functioning liberal democratic state and society.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The curriculum of the study programme is based on five parts:
- Methods module (18 ECTS) - in this module, students will be trained in the essentials of social science methodology and academic skills; both quantitative and qualitative methods will be addressed; innovative teaching methods (such as a ‘flipped classroom’) will also be used;
- Core Competencies module (36 ECTS) - this module will lay out for students fundamental concepts and theories for understanding democratic development and modern governance.
- Specialization module (30 ECTS) - within this module students will be able to choose courses that deepen their knowledge of specific topics in the field such as identity-based phenomena, regional specificities or third-sector issues;
- Electives module (6 ECTS) - students may choose additional electives either from within or completely outside the existing curriculum;
- MA thesis (30 ECTS)
Programme Director is Professor of Comparative Politics Vello Pettai.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesInternational Development Public Policy Political Science
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3400 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Tuition waivers are available for the best candidates.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.