At the same time, it gives the opportunity, through practical and case study-driven modules, to learn about conflict prevention and early warning, as well as the appropriate ways of managing conflicts peacefully through negotiation and mediation.
The International Conflict and Security MA at University of Kent - Brussels School of International Studies also provides you with training specific to working in the field of conflict analysis, such as preparing reports on specific conflicts or security issues, drafting recommendations for policymakers, or mediating between conflicting parties. The programme is constantly updated to introduce fresh insights from the theory of conflict and innovative policy strategies as developed in the field by practitioners and academics alike.
An ideal subject for those who may have previously worked in conflict zones, or have an interest in how the theories of international relations cuts across the study of conflict, conflict resolution and security issues. Alongside your studies, you will have access to many additional external lectures, conferences and seminars, or via an internship with an organisation such as NATO. The teaching is delivered by academics and enhanced by practitioners - experts in their field combining theory with contemporary case studies bringing the latest global conflicts to the classroom.
The University of Kent's Brussels School of International Studies (BSIS) is a specialist postgraduate centre offering advanced English language-based degrees covering the spectrum of international affairs. We host three academic schools of the University of Kent which allows students to specialise in one programme while informing their personal approach to international studies with another, via a secondary specialisation.
The broad selection of taught and research programmes available, ranging from politics and international relations to law, migration and conflict studies, means you can choose a degree that best reflects your interests. Degrees are full degrees of the University of Kent, and the university is also recognised as by the Flemish Community in Belgium (NVAO) and Flemish Government. The University of Kent is the only UK University with a campus in Brussels.
- Theories of Conflict and Violence
- Conflict and Security
- Law of Armed Conflict
- Negotiation and Mediation
- Critical Approaches to Security
- Conflict Transformation and Peace
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no fixed application deadline for home/EU students, though we strongly recommend you apply no later than three months before the start date.
90 ECTS or 120 ECTS
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science Terrorism & Security View 27 other Masters in Political Science in Belgium
- Students should hold a bachelor degree for entry to this Master's degree.
- The standard of the degree will normally be at least an Upper Second Class Honours degree from countries such as the UK, Ghana, Nigeria or Kenya, or a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 under the American system from an accredited institution or equivalent.
- We do review candidates application on a case by case basis and extensive work experience may compensate for a slightly lower degree result.
International19300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19300 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA19300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19300 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
The annual tuition for the standard programme:
- Full-time: €19,300 (UK/EU) / €19,300 (Overseas) Part-time: €9,650 (UK/EU) / €9,650 (Overseas)
- Full-time: €27,100 (UK/EU) / €27,100 (Overseas)
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- University and external funds
- Scholarships specific to the academic school delivering this programme.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.