In the Master’s programme in Sociology of Education at Uppsala University, education - in the broad sense of the word - is explored as a social phenomenon. It is related to the overall structure of society and to social transformations, such as processes of globalisation, individualisation, marketisation and privatisation. A focal point of the programme is the encounter between the symbolic or material assets held by pupils and school teachers, or students and professors, as well as their embodied dispositions and beliefs, and the prevailing social and cultural order in the educational system.Other important areas of study are the rise and transformation of educational systems, the history of and competition between educational institutions, the significance of education for the class structure and the relation that education upholds with cultural, economic or political fields. As a discipline, sociology of education is based on more general traditions in the social and historical sciences.
The Master's Programme in Sociology of Education prepares you for a professional career where such knowledge is particularly important. The programme opens the door to the PhD programme in Sociology of Education and to future positions in academia as a lecturer, professor or researcher, as well as to professions related to the planning, design, organisation, administration and evaluation of education.
- Sociology of Education, Traditions
- Sociology of Education, Methods
- Sociology of Education, Research Design
- Current Transformations of Educational Systems
- The History of Educational Systems
- Geometric Data Analysis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Sociology Teaching View 5 other Masters in Teaching in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Uppsala University and/or in Sweden, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A Bachelor's degree, equivalent to a Swedish Kandidatexamen, from an internationally recognised university. Also required is 90 credits in the humanities or social sciences.
- All applicants need to verify English language proficiency that corresponds to English studies at upper secondary (high school) level in Sweden ("English 6").
- Students are selected based on: a total appraisal of quantity and quality of previous university studies; the relevance of previous studies; the quality of the Bachelor's thesis or equivalent essay (c. 8000 words); and a statement of purpose.
International9526 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19053 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Tuition fee, first semester: SEK 50,000
- Tuition fee, total: SEK 200,000
Living costs for Uppsala
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.