This includes developing the theory of genetics and molecular biology in parallel with skills training in practical techniques such as genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, recombinant DNA methods, and basic and advanced bioinformatics. Current streams include the application of biotechnology to Plant and Animal Breeding, Environmental Biotechnology, Genetics and Genomics, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Commercialisation.This cross-Faculty course draws on the expertise of staff in the UWA Business School, business angels and mentors in biotechnology businesses to provide the academic and business skills you’ll need to make a significant contribution to the biotechnology sector now and in the future. You can also pursue options from other faculties. You will be well positioned to pursue careers in international research laboratories, government agencies and the private sector.
The core of the Biotechnology - Biochemistry and Molecular Biology program from The University of Western Australia draws on the expertise in Science and Business to provide a basis for skills training in biotechnology and combining this with skills in enterprise and commercialisation. In the Faculty of Science, key components are provided by the Schools of Molecular Science, Biological Sciences, and Earth Sciences. The Business School provides the required training in the commercialisation of biotechnological innovation.
You can find employment in academia, through either a higher degree or research/teaching post. The commercial sector is also a key future employer and the mix of analytical, scientific rationale and business skills will see you well placed within selection criteria for biotechnology industries. Core business training will also give you a full understanding of idea development into spin out companies, and as such, biotechnology start-up ventures are a likely destination for some graduates. Governmental and non-governmental organisations are also key employment areas, for fields such as environmental monitoring, legislative development and advisory bodies concerned with biotechnology development.
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Data Use in Science
- The Conduct, Ethics and Communication of Science
- Techniques in Molecular Sciences
- Biotechnology in the Natural Environment
- Advanced Studies in Genetics and Genomics
- Advanced Genomics Techniques
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesBiotechnology Biochemistry Genetics View 35 other Masters in Biochemistry in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The University of Western Australia and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
CRICOS CODE: 083859F
To be considered for admission to this course an applicant must have—
- a Bachelor of Science, or an equivalent qualification, as recognised by UWA;
- the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 50 per cent;
- met the prerequisite for the chosen specialisation
For the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology specialisation an applicant must have
- successfully completed intermediate units at a tertiary level in Biochemistry, or equivalent, as recognised by UWA; and
- successfully completed intermediate units at a tertiary level in Molecular Biology, or equivalent, as recognised by UWA
International41700 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 83400 AUD for the full programme during 24 months.
- National Commonwealth supported students: $8,747.06
Living costs for Perth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.