On this MA Illustration degree course, you'll build upon your already impressive illustration skills and develop your creative and technical abilities to postgraduate level.
Whether you’re an arts graduate or a professional returning to creative studies, you'll be able to explore, question, and develop your practice through traditional and innovative techniques.
Our academic team is made up of experienced practitioners in the field of artists' books and zines, practice-based PhDs, and printmaking. They'll provide the expertise and support you need to push your creative boundaries and find your individual artistic voice.
This practice-led Master’s in illustration will culminate in production of your own personal project, where you'll be able to define your role as a creative practitioner within a social, political, and historical context.
With opportunities to network and publicise and market your work, you'll be better prepared to take your creative career to the next level once you graduate – whether by pursuing a career as an illustrator or in related fields such as art direction, design, and publishing.
- Complete a major body of work which showcases your development and skills
- Explore themes such as narrative and sequential illustration, humour and satire, ethical and social positioning of the artist, literary sources for inspiration, limited edition publications, small presses, and artists’ books
- Consider the question “what is illustration?” and examine the social responsibility of the illustrator as a cultural producer
- Discover your specialisms and position your individual practice within the creative industries
- Engage with high profile visiting lecturers, freelance illustrators and other industry connections such as external speakers from Egmont Books
- Take part in field trips – both to local galleries and London-based museums
- Access our extensive collection of artists’ books and zines, located within the illustration studios
- Develop your existing skills through specialist workshops such as laser cutting and 3D printing, photography, etching and letterpress, drawing and print workshops
- Showcase your Adobe expertise to industry peers by gaining Adobe Certified Professional (ACP) qualifications
Careers and opportunitiesCareers this Master’s in Illustration prepares you for
As a successful graduate of this course, you'll have the practical skills necessary to compete in a commercial arena, and the rhetorical skills to promote your own work. You'll be able to position yourself as a creative individual, giving you a competitive edge as an illustrator or artist.
Graduates of this course have found jobs such as:
- Animator, storyboard artist and digital illustrator
- Graphic/editorial designer
- Art director
- Toy and character designer
- Comic book or graphic novelist
- Printmaker and small press publisher
- Creative developer
- Art Teacher/Lecturer
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
A Question of Research - 30 credits
Proposal for Illustration - 30 credits
Illustration in Context - 60 credits credits
Illustration Major Project - 60 credits
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Media Studies & Mass Media View 537 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A minimum of a second-class honours degree, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications. An interview or online portfolio submission will be required as part of the selection process.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.