Whether you are a podiatrist, a speech therapist or a nurse – if you work in any kind of clinical setting you will reach a point at which you cannot progress without some kind of additional training and demonstrable management competency.
The skills you will develop on this course will put you in a good position to progress in your career and take on leadership roles. The Public Health course from University of East London will focus on hot topic within health and cover core modules on epidemiology, health promotion and global health. The health students often organise local health campaigns within the community, so there are plenty of opportunities to get involved and make a difference.
Whatever sector you are working in – the NHS, private health or social care services, community health organisations or a related commercial sector – you will benefit from studying in a superbly resourced environment which is producing research internationally recognised as being of the highest quality.
Your future career
This unusual and carefully tailored course will help you progress your career - by developing your research skills and by enhancing your managerial abilities. It will also encourage you to think broadly.
For example, while you are treating someone with an obvious ailment such as a broken arm, you might consider whether there are underlying mental health issues which brought about the injury.
This aligns with the growing emphasis in the health care sector on the integration health care services to meet complex health needs.
The Public Health MSc course offers you enhanced employability prospects within the public health sector. This may involve working as a public health specialist or as a practitioner within the directorates of public health in NHS Foundation Trusts or Clinical Commissioning Groups.
Graduates have returned to careers within NHS or other healthcare sectors with the skills required to take up new levels of responsibility. After completing this course you will be well placed to advance to senior roles, such as director of public health.
"We've got an NHS at the moment that's going through enormous changes," says Dr Matthew Almond, Field Leader in Health Studies.
"What people need is a workforce that understands the need to be resilient, that understands service design and transformation and understands there are processes involved in transforming a service like the NHS - and that until the process is mature, there are going to be problems."
- Public Health Theory and Policy
- Principles and Methods of Epidemiology
- Research Methods in Public Health
- Behaviour Change and Health Promotion
- Global Health
- Health Economics
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesManagement Studies Public Health Public Policy View 353 other Masters in Public Policy in United Kingdom
- Minimum 2.1 Honours in a Health-related subject
- We would normally expect you to have Grade C in GCSE English and Maths.
- Applicants who have a lower second-class honours degree but have relevant employment experience in the health sector may be considered by the admissions tutor and the programme leader on an individual basis.
- Applicants whose qualifications do not conform to these criteria may be admitted to the programme at the admission tutors’ and programme leaders’ discretion.
- All applicants for the MSc Public Health program will be interviewed. Interviews can be conducted in person at UEL, via telephone or skype. Interviews are designed to give the applicant an opportunity to explain in greater detail the relevance of their experience and their suitability for the programme, including levels of knowledge and communication skills.
- Applicants must have at least minimum of One year full-time professional experience in a health related subject.
International14760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14760 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
UK: Part time: £1,570 Per 30 credit module
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.