The combination of an MA and NCTJ Diploma will significantly boost your employability as a sports journalist. This Sports Journalism programme offered at the University of Sunderland is an intensive course that trains you to think, write and research like a journalist; previous study of journalism is not a requirement.
You will learn how to write previews, match reports and sports features, and you will also cover media ethics and law, reporting and shorthand. In the final stage of the course, you will undertake a dissertation or a practical project, such as a sports journalism website or a series of in-depth articles.
- 'World-leading' research in Media according to the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF)
- Students on this course can apply for the Journalism Diversity Fund. Administered by the NCTJ, the Journalism Diversity Fund awards bursaries to aspiring journalists from socially or ethnically-diverse backgrounds who do not have the financial means to support themselves through an NCTJ-accredited course.
EmploymentOn completing this course, you will be equipped for employment at an advanced level, with opportunities throughout the sports journalism industry. Potential roles include various positions across the communications, media, marketing and sports industries.
National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) accredited.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Sports Journalism: Principles and Practice
- Essential Media Law and Regulation
- Essential Public Affairs
- News Reporting
- Media Ethics and Society
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Apply at least 6 months in advance .
DisciplinesJournalism Media Studies & Mass Media Sports Sciences View 147 other Masters in Journalism in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We will consider applicants with professional and vocational experience.
- If you are suitably qualified, we will invite you to an interview to assess whether this is the right course for you.
- We may ask you to undertake a short course that covers essential skills and knowledge, before you join the main Masters course.
International13000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA6250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time fees for this course are £375 per 10 credits.
Living costs for Sunderland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.