The Primary Education (5-11 Years) with Recommendation for QTS programme from Brunel University London covers all Key Stage 1 and 2 of National Curriculum subjects: English, mathematics and science, computing, physical education, history, geography, religious education, art, design and technology, modern foreign languages, PSHEE and music.
The focus of your studies will be on the principles and methods of teaching and learning delivered through three core modules, together with compulsory, practical school-based teaching placements. Your progress will be assessed in both areas.
Your placement will typically take you into Brunel partner schools or other educational settings in and around London for at least 120 days in block placements in two or more different contexts with support from a school-based mentor.
Careers and your future
A Brunel PGCE with recommendation for QTS is a recognised symbol of high quality Initial Teacher Education (ITE). This is demonstrated by Brunel’s outstanding employment rates over time and feedback from Brunel alumni student teachers, our partnership schools and Ofsted inspectors.
Brunel PGCE graduates have gone on to work in our partnership schools, and many in schools where they undertook a placement experience. This allows the department to retain links with former students and often they become school-based mentors for Brunel PGCE students. The department also has a network of alumni in positions of responsibility in schools across the country.
- The PGCE in Primary Education course content will equip you with a critical understanding of the issues and theories that impact upon classroom practice in teaching, learning and assessment of 5 to 11 year olds.
- The course is structured to balance the taught elements with independent professional learning activities (PLAs) of which your placements will be a key part in relation to the Teachers’ Standards for Qualified Teacher Status.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Primary Education View 32 other Masters in Primary Education in United Kingdom
Our conditions of entry to the PGCE Primary programme require that applicants have:
- An undergraduate or postgraduate degree. Normally this should be a 2.2 classification or above in preparation for Masters level professional study.
- English, Maths and Science grades A* to C, or equivalent at GCSE level. Applicants would normally be expected to meet the GCSE requirements at the point of application.
To further strengthen your application, we also recommend that applicants have:
- An informed personal philosophy on the aims of primary education, drawing on relevant reading and research;
- An understanding of statutory requirements for primary education within the state school sector;
- An awareness of recent government policy or initiatives in education;
- Recent and relevant experience of primary school education in England, either team teaching or observing with experienced teachers.
- The ability to communicate effectively in both spoken and written English.
International17665 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17665 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.