Train to work as a professional statistician and gain skills and experience working at the interface between statistics and finance.
The skills you gain are useful for a wide range of financial data analysis and in a range of other sectors where data analysis is required, for example sociology, health science, medical science or biology. This experience is also an ideal foundation for further academic study; many of our students choose to progress to PhD.
Our Statistics and Probability Group has a thriving research culture. Our group works with mainstream statistics to develop new methodology and apply it to real-world problems. The team produces world-class research, publishing in top journals. Our graduate students have full access to this expertise, as well as being exposed to forefront research carried out across the globe through our regular seminars and working groups.
Careers and skills
The big data analysis skills you develop on this course provide attractive employment opportunities in a growing number of industries where such skills are in high demand. The course is also a good foundation for continuing your studies at PhD level.
- Banking and financial services
- Public administration
- Consultancy companies
- Data analysis industries
- PhDs at the University of York
- PhD at Florida State University
- Modelling Analyst (automotive data provider)
- Graduate Technical Analyst (HSBC)
- Research and Development for a Property and Casualty Insurance company specialising in catastrophe insurance
- Mainframe Software Solution Sales for a major IT brand
- Data Analyst for a health data company
- Trainee Chartered Accountant
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Regression Analysis
- Portfolio Theory and Risk Management
- Financial Time Series
- Advanced Multivariate Analysis
- Computational Finance
- Mathematical Methods of Finance
- Stochastic Calculus & Black-Scholes Theory
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications can be submitted year-round, but we recommend you apply as early as possible as entry to many courses is competitive.
DisciplinesFinance Statistics Computer Sciences View 214 other Masters in Statistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:1 or equivalent in Mathematics or in a subject with a substantial mathematics component. We may accept a 2:2 undergraduate degree supported by relevant professional qualifications.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25240 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25240 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12660 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12660 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.