Understand the present by studying the past
History is a subject as large as our recorded past. Our cultural heritages, literature, arts, religions, politics, economics, social behaviours, buildings and landscapes all derive from past influences.
Studying history gives you an understanding of where we have been and how the world has changed. You’ll get an appreciation of how people have faced challenges at different times, with the benefit of hindsight.
Research your particular interest
With a PGDipArts (History) you can investigate a particular issue in great depth. You could focus on New Zealand and the Pacific, or study a particular era, such as the medieval period, or the 20th century. You could look at a theme, such as politics, sport or social history, or just pick what takes your fancy. The courses you’ll complete will complement your focus on your chosen research area by helping you develop your research skills and quickly master the research process.
Relevant to the past, present and future of New Zealand
Through history we can understand our past, explain our present and be better equipped to predict the future. At Massey, our history programme is focused on New Zealand history and New Zealand’s place in the world. We have the strongest focus on New Zealand history of any university in the world and New Zealand themes are central to our academics’ research. This combination means you will graduate ready to shape the future of New Zealand.
With a Postgraduate Diploma in Arts (History) from Massey University you can choose from a wide range of careers including:
- policy analysis
- research management
- Advanced Historiography
- Advanced Historical Methodology
- Research Report
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Art History View 5 other Masters in History in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To enter the Postgraduate Diploma in Arts (History) you will have been awarded or qualified for the Bachelor of Arts degree, with a major in the intended postgraduate subject, or equivalent.
- You will need to have achieved a grade average in your bachelor degree that demonstrates an adequate level of preparation for the postgraduate programme. This normally means that a B- grade average or above is required.
- You will need to provide verified copies of all academic transcripts for studies taken at all universities other than Massey University.
National4789 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4789 USD per year during 12 months.
- Domestic students: $6,682.50 - $8,825.20
- This programme is not available for international applicants
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.